ss_blog_claim=bf44054c0fd1bbd7e9ccacabba9e52b3

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Nothing I Can Do

My Mom was supposed to have surgery today and it was cancelled. I feel really bad for her she was so looking forward to having it done.

I'll explain a little, My mom has been suffering from headaches for years. She has tried medications and who knows what else. She is now 53 and has decided that she has had enough, that she really didn't want to live like this anymore. I am not really sure what it is called but she was going to have this procedure done where wires are placed on her skull and then are run down her back and connected to a computer like pain zapper that is placed in her butt cheek. She recently when through the trial phase and it worked wonderfully for her. You could hear the difference in her voice in a week. She didn't sound so tired, she was laughing again and most importantly, she was free from her headaches.

The next step in the trail phase was to remove these wires and she how well her head healed up. The permanent one is much more invasive and they wanted to be sure that everything was going to heal okay, which it did. The one problem, she is to skinny, I know, sounds odd but she is 5'7" and currently weighs 104 pounds! This eight is not by choice, the doctors feel that she may have an allergy to Gluten. Last summer she was 125 pounds but she got really sick and ever since then she has not been able to gain weight. The doctor is afraid that since she has little to no body fat that her body will reject the thing they are going to put in her butt cheek.

The second part of this devastating news is that the hospital she was going to have this surgery at will no longer be doing them. The doctors office has promised her that they will find a hospital that will do it. I have convinced her to give the Gluten free diet a chance but to make a real effort at it. It really surprises me that she didn't when they first brought this up to her. She has a sweet tooth and usually is able to control it and I think that maybe she is just not liking the idea that she can not have the things she likes. In our conversation she was more devastated that she couldn't have Salad Dressing than the idea that a piece of chocolate was not allowed. So me being me, hoped on the Internet and found some things. Newman's Own has some Gluten free salad dressings. When I told her that it started to peak her interest and by the time we got off the phone, she said she would try again. She tried it before but I don't think there was a genuine effort. The reality of it is either she gains some weight or she never gets to have this surgery.

1 Nibbles & Sips:

Linda Jones Malonson said...

Oh my goodness Diamond, this is so sad. My grandson suffers with headaches, and just looking from the outside, I know how bad they can be.

I hope your mother will do well with the new diet, because wires running through your body, yes that's very invasive. Your mother has to be in great pain to even consider it. Hope everything turns out ok.