ss_blog_claim=bf44054c0fd1bbd7e9ccacabba9e52b3

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Signs and Steps

These last couple days there has been a lot of talk about this boy who committed suicide. The boys in my son's class have spent a lot of time talking about different signs, how they may feel and what they should do if they had a friend who may be talking about wanting to commit suicide. I think it is a great thing, it's not like puberty, you know, something you MUST discuss. For me it is one of those conversations I hoped to NEVER have with Zachary. I am glad though that the program my son is in brought in counselors to talk to them.


Warning Signs for Suicide
Suicidal talk
Preoccupation with death and dying
Signs of depression
Behavioral changes
Giving away special possessions and making arrangements to take care of unfinished business
Difficulty with appetite and sleep
Taking excessive risks
Increased drug use
Loss of interest in usual activities


Three steps teens can take
Take your friend’s actions seriously
Encourage your friend to seek professional help, accompany if necessary
Talk to an adult you trust. Don’t be alone in helping your friend

0 Nibbles & Sips: